Parent Involvement and Participation
We recognize parents as the first teachers in a child’s life. We are committed to offering resources and support to parents in their efforts to educate their children. Included are:
- Parent Institute for Quality Education
- Latino Literacy Project
- Family Literacy Nights
- Math Nights organized by grade level
- Weekly parent group meetings (in conjunction with First Five)
- Weekly pre-kindergarten class (in conjunction with First Five)
- Morning Break Club provides parents a weekly opportunity to meet with the school’s community liaison to discuss school programs, services, and activities. Speakers are called upon to provide guidance and education on various topics.
- Community Based English Tutoring (CBET) meets weekly to teach parents English and how to help their children with homework.
We invite parents to play a role in school governance. Parents are actively involved in the following:
- School Site Council, which meets monthly to make decisions about our School Plan and to identify strategies to increase student achievement
- English Learner Advisory Council, which meets monthly to learn about and make decisions about programs for our English Learners
- Parent Teacher Association (PTA), which supports our school by volunteering for school activities and raising funds for field trips, disaster supplies, and other student-centered activities